St. Mark Lutheran Church
1934 52nd Street SE
Kentwood, MI 49508
St. Mark Lutheran Church had its beginning as a mission effort in a canvas of twenty-five hundred homes by its first pastor, the Rev. Wayne Pohl. The first service was held at Bowen School, in Kentwood, on October 16, 1966, with 117 people in attendance. Land in Princeton Estates was purchased and in April of 1968, we dedicated our first Sanctuary. Within two years we constructed the educational wing and began our Christian Preschool.
We have come a long way! In the fall of 1987, we dedicated our current Sanctuary, classrooms and organ. In 1995, we began our Lutheran Grade School with the first Kindergarten class. We added a grade each year and our school currently goes through 8th grade. In June 2000, we dedicated our ministry outreach center which houses our grade school and includes several classrooms, full-size gymnasium, and multi-media center. In 2004, the West Michigan Lutheran High School opened, using the second floor of the ministry outreach building. WMLHS has purchased their own school building at 601 36th Street in Wyoming.
St. Mark has a long tradition of outreach both locally and globally. Sunday morning brings a traditional service, a contemporary service, and a "High Octane" worship for teens. We've planted several churches including our latest, "Journey of Faith" which is reaching out to the lost of Byron Center, Michigan and its surrounding areas.
We've sent ministry teams to Guatemala, the Sudan area, British Columbia, New Orleans, Haiti and more! Our youth group, Solid Rock Teen Ministry does service projects all around Grand Rapids and has an annual week-long "Holy Sweat Camp"in July. Our Children's Ministry has our annual summer program "Camp Moosefeather Falls" in June which brings in kids from all around Kentwood.